B75 - Grid reference SP137965
Myring Place is shown on 1889 Ordnance Survey map and was the name of a hamlet on the south side of Rectory Road in Sutton Coldfield. It is now recalled in Myring Drive. The modern road lies just west of a row of cottages which stood opposite Blakemore Drive.
The hamlet may well take its name from the surname of the landlord who had the cottages built. Myring appears to be a West Midlands surname and is found in the 18th century at Shenstone, a village about 8 miles to the north, and at Coleshill in 1841. The 1861 Census shows Myring Place to have been a working-class hamlet of five households. Three households were headed by agricultural labourers, the others by a bricklayer and a cordwainer ie. a cobbler.
William Dargue 07.04.09
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.