B75 - Grid reference SP131987
Recorded in the 1841 Census as Shepphard's Pool and in 1861 as Shepherd's Pool, this Sutton placename may equally derive from a surname as from the occupation. The pool lay in the angle between Weeford Road and Little Sutton Road east of Little Sutton and is now recalled in Shepherds Pool Road. In 1841 a single house on Little Sutton Road is recorded here occupied by John Hall, an agricultural labourer and his family. (Next listed in the Census is 35-year-old Henry Grimes of Ash Furlong House, living here on independent means with his wife and five servants.)
William Dargue 09.03.2009/ 20.08.2012
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.