B1 - Grid reference SP070864
First record 1523
In the 1523 survey of the manor of Birmingham Dudwalls appears to pastureland. It belonged to the lord of the manor and was leased to William Russell, a member of a wealthy Birmingham family. It was listed as The Dudwall or Dodwalls. Of unknown origin, this is a field name found elsewhere in the country.
Dudwalls Lane ran along the edge of the pasture from the junction of Edgbaston Street and Smallbroke/ Smallbrook Street, now Smallbrook Queensway. Continuing up Pinfold Street to the top of New Street, this was part of an ancient route from Birmingham to Dudley, for which reason the lane later became known as Dudley Street, a name it still bears. Hinkley Street runs into Dudley Street.
Pinfold Street also takes its name from Birmingham's agricutural past. The pinfold was the place where stray animals were kept to be redeemed by the payment of a fine to the lord of the manor.
See also The Inkleys.
William Dargue 09.11.08/ 01.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.