B75 - Grid reference SP125990
This was a 'rough clearing', ruh leah, probably land that had been cleared from the forest but was uncultivated when the place was named. It may have been land already cleared before Anglo-Saxon times and later abandoned, or land cleared and left to nature during Anglo-Saxon times.
The modern urban district of Roughley lies on the edge of Sutton Coldfield north of Little Sutton Road beyond which is countryside. Roughley Farm stood until recently near Weeford Road between Slade Road and Duttons Lane. A housing estate has been built on the site.
William Dargue 12.03.09/ 01.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.