William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B11 - Grid reference SP107833
B13 - Grid reference SP072829
B33 - Grid reference SP135878
A common medieval field name indicating that the land had been cleared of trees for agriculture.
Reddings Lane, Tyseley: in 1254 Studley Priory bought large estates in Yardley and Greet, including the Greet demesne which included the Riddings in the area between the River Cole and Tyseley Brook (now culverted) which ran from Hall Green northwards to the Ackers. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries c1540, all the property of the religious houses was sequestrated by the Crown and sold. The manor of Greet and the Riddings were bought by the Greswolde family.
Reddings Road in Moseley also has the same origin, land cleared from the ancient Forest of Arden. Reddings Road was cut in 1904 and developed for quality housing over the next decade. Moseley Rugby Club were based here from 1883 until 2000. Houses were built on the site in 2004.
For this name in Stechford B33 see Glebe Farm.
William Dargue 10.05.2013
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.