William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
Five Ways Edgbaston
B15 - Grid reference SP056861
First record 1565
The area around the top end of Broad Street is now generally known as Five Ways. This crossroads was so-named when it had five roads and was recorded as early as 1565. By rights it should have been renamed Six Ways when Calthorpe Road was added in 1820.
See also Islington and Edgbaston.
Click to enlarge the images below.
William Dargue 14.12.2008/ 02.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.