William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B32 - Grid reference SP000842
First record 1834
So-named by 1834 after four houses standing in close proximity in an otherwise unpopulated area known as Worlds End near Quinton. Standing near the junction of Dwellings Lane and Quinton Road West, Four Dwellings Farm was demolished in 1940 and Four Dwellings Council School was built on the site. This was a rural area planned for housing development by the City Council from 1920 onwards.
William Dargue 14.12.2008/31.07.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.