William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B25 - Grid reference at centre - SP124845
Pinfold Grn: first record 1763
This green of common land lay between Stockfield Road and Yardley Road at South Yardley. It would have been the site of the local pinfold where stray farm animals could be reclaimed on payment of a fine. Pinfolds were in use from medieval to Victorian times.
Pinfold House or Mansfield House is a two-storey timber-framed 17th-century house which has oak beams recycled from sailing ships in its construction. It was stuccoed and altered probably in the late 18th century. Commercial/ industrial premises adjoining in Mansfield Road are also timber-framed and are outhouses to Pinfold House. These also probably date from the 17th century but have more recent alterations and 20th-century additions. Although Grade II Listed the future of the buildings is uncertain.
Below: Pinfold House and barns photographed by Simon Dean © All Right Reserved downloaded from sjdean on Flickr and used with his kind permission. Click to enlarge the images.
William Dargue 04.04.2009
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.