William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B25 - Grid reference SP117858
Where Hob Lane, now Hob Moor Road, forded the River Cole was Hob Moor. A medieval term, moor refers to marshy land which was subject to winter flooding and which provided lush pasture in summer.
The word hob means a hobgoblin, a mischievous sprite; there may have been an unusual landscape feature here. The ford here is still shown on the 1921 Ordnance Survey map.
See also Hobs Moat.
William Dargue 27.03.2009/ 23.07.2015
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.