William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B75 - Grid reference SP145977
Set in rural east Sutton, north of Withy Hill Road, High Heath rises up from the valley of Langley Brook. As heathland, the soil here is likely to be lighter glacial drift overlying clay.
Off the north side of Withy Hill Road is High Heath Cottage, the smallest of the surviving Vesey houses. Built in the early 16th-century of sandstone by Bishop Vesey for one of his kinsmen, it has a single room on each floor. Unusually there is a fireplace in each room and a surviving stone spiral staircase. This Grade II* Listed building is hidden among the trees.
For other Vesey houses see Little Sutton, Maney, Reddicap and Walmley.
See also Sutton Coldfield.
William Dargue 23.03.2009/ 01.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.