William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B15 - Grid reference SP055854
This area south of St James Road, Edgbaston is named after the Calthorpe family of Edgbaston Hall. By 1890 the surrounding area had been built up with very large houses set in large plots but Calthorpe Fields remained undeveloped. There is still a large area here which never has been built on and serves as playing fields for the private schools in Calthorpe Road.
William Dargue 31.07.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.