William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B24 - Grid reference SP094903
A name of unknown origin near Spaghetti Junction. The second element ley may derive from the Anglo-Saxon word for a woodland clearing.
A house named Copeley stood here and Copeley Lodge was near the foot of the hill by 1832. The road, Copeley Hill was cut in 1862.
See also Gravelly Hill.
William Dargue 01.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.