William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B21 - Grid reference SP039904
atte Lyddiate: first record 1333
One of the medieval administrative ends or districts of Handsworth, Lydiate End covered the area between Oxhill Road, Rookery Road and the Holyhead Road. The name is found across the country and derives from the Old English hlid geat meaning a 'swing gate', probably a hinged gate to allow the sorting of livestock.
William Dargue 04.04.2009
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.