William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B17 - Grid reference SP022856
This is literally 'the lord's wood', the property of the lords of the Staffordshire manor of Harborne. Woodland is shown on the 1834 Ordnance Survey map lying to the west of Lordswood Road down to Court Oak Road. In the near vicinity are a number of woodland placenames: Bearwood, Beech Lanes, Lightwoods and Warley Woods. The Lord's Wood itself lay between Hagley Road West, Lordswood Road and Blakeney Avenue.
William Dargue 04.04.2009
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.