William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B6 - Grid reference SP092912
From the 17th century near the junction of George Road and Park Road at the southern end of Brookvale Park boating lake stood Witton Forge. Fed by Hawthorn Brook this was known as Lower Witton Pool. The pool and surrounding land was subsequently bought by Erdington Council as Brookvale Park. Lower Witton lay around what is now the park.
William Dargue 04.04.2009
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.