B9 Grid reference SP113864
Watland Green lay east of Yardley Green Road and Belchers Lane and is shown on Tomlinson's map of 1760 . The name probably means 'wheat land'.In the Middle Ages wheat was a premium crop. Whereas barley, oats and rye would tolerate poorer soils and growing conditions, wheat thrived best on heavy rich soils in somewhat sheltered places.
William Dargue 09.01.10
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.