B75 - Grid reference SP145975
In rural east Sutton, Withy Hill rises above the valleys of Langley Brook to the west and Collets Brook to the east. The word 'withy' derives from Old English and denotes any member of the willow family. As water-loving trees, the willows are more likely to have grown in the valley rather than on the hill. The implication of the name may be of the willow as a useful tree providing flexible twigs for binding, for basket making, etc.
Withy Hill Road. Photograph by the late Keith Berry and used with his kind permission 'All Rights Reserved'.
William Dargue 11.02.09/ 01.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.