William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
B24 - Grid reference SP115908
First record 17th century
This green at the junction of the Kingsbury Road with Spring Lane was a piece of unenclosed common pasture probably from the Middle Ages. The first element may derive from local birch trees, but this green is more likely to have been named after the local 17th-century Birch family: William Birch was recorded as living near here in 1602.
Birches Green Farm stood near the junction of the Kingsbury Road with Hall Road until c1920 when a large estate of council housing was developed in a geometric road plan typical of the time. The area effectively became part of Erdington.
William Dargue 09.09.2008/ 05.11.2020
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.
Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. See Acknowledgements. Click the map to link to that website.