William Dargue A History of BIRMINGHAM Places & Placenames from A to Y
The Beeches Estate/ Perry Beeches Estate
B42 - Grid reference SP055936
First record c1928
The Beeches Estate between Aldridge Road and Beeches Road was laid out on the former estate of Perry Hall, home of the Gough-Calthorpe family. From 1894 the area was administered by Perry Barr Urban District Council. However, as a result of a local referendum in 1928 most of the district transferred to Birmingham, with smaller parts going to West Bromwich and Sutton Coldfield. The Beeches estate of private and privately rented housing was built during the second half of the 1930s.
The 1884 Ordnance Survey map shows a large house on Brick Kiln Lane now Beeches Road. The house, 'The Beeches' was set in its own grounds and had a very large fish pond. It may have dated from the late 18th century and stood where Vicarage Close is now. The old house was used as offices by the building company during the building of the housing estate.
Val Mobley grew up on the Beeches Estate in the 1950s and remembers the house surrounded by a copse of trees and was known locally as The White House. It was where the new residents used to pay their rent. Val remembers the house being demolished about 1960 and St Matthew's vicarage being built on the site.
See also Perry.
William Dargue 08.09.2008/ 30.07.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.