Barnes Hill

B29 - Grid reference SP015826

Barnes Hill is still in use as a streetname and is named after John Barnes, a master brickmaker who lived at Blakenell Corner. The 1851 Census recorded 11 households at Blakenell Corner. The name may be medieval meaning 'Blecca's/ Blaca's nook' or 'black nook.'

 

John T Smith contacted this site with information that his father's birth certificate in 1905 records the name as Blackmore Corner. His father was born in a cottage on the corner of Alwold Rd and Barnes Hill. The more element is a medieval term for marshy ground, here referring to the valley of Bournbrook which flows through Woodgate Valley and across Harborne golf course.

 

See also Shenley.

 

Barnes Hill at the juction with Weoley Castle Road (right) and Senneleys Park Road (left). Quinton lies on the ridge in the distance.
Barnes Hill at the juction with Weoley Castle Road (right) and Senneleys Park Road (left). Quinton lies on the ridge in the distance.

 

William Dargue 10.03.2009/ 05.08.2012

 

 

For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.

See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55194&sheetid=10121&zm=2&x=0&y=5&ox=325&oy=216 

 

Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. Click the map to link to that website.