Birmingham Great Park
B45 - Grid reference SO993778
First record c2000
Birmingham Great Park in Rubery is the name given to redevelopment of some 80 hectares on the site of Rubery Hill Hospital which closed in 1995. The developments include commercial and industrial, leisure and retail, health, community and housing provision on the Bristol Road South between Rubery and Longbridge.
Rubery Hill Lunatic Asylum was founded in 1876 and moved into a building on Cock Hill Lane designed by the well-known Birmingham partnership of Martin & Chamberlain in 1882. It was the second such asylum for patients with mental health problems, the first being at Winson Green. Additional facilities were built nearby as Hollymoor Hospital in 1900. The lodge, chapel and medical superintendent's house remain of Rubery Hill Hospital on the Bristol Road South; the water tower and chapel remain of Hollymoor hospital buildings on Hollymoor on Tessall Lane. All are Grade II Listed buildings.
William Dargue 05.03.09/ 02.08.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.