B20 Grid reference SP065908
First record 1832
Symbols Cross is recorded at the the junction of Birchfield Road and Aston Lane on the map prepared by R K Dawson in 1831 for the proposed parliamentary borough of Birmingham. It lay well beyond the city boundary. It has been suggested that it may have derived its name from a carved painted boundary sign here. However, the boundary of Handsworth with Perry Barr lay about half a mile further north where the Walsall Road crosses the River Tame. The origin of the name is unknown.
William Dargue 04.01.2010
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.