B18 - Grid reference SP059881
First record 1390
The first reference to Sandpits is found in a document of 1390 which refers to Sir Thomas de Birmingham's 'castle' at 'Warstone near the Sandpits' - see Warstone.
In 1783 William Hutton described the built-up area of Birmingham and recorded a number of hamlets beyond it, including a group of fourteen houses at the Sand Pits on the Dudley Road.
There was formerly a sandstone quarry here which yielded both sand and sandstone. The sand would have been used from medieval times as the main ingredient in making mortar for building work and proved to be good for making casting moulds in iron foundries.
The sandstone, although relatively soft was also used as a building stone; from the 18th century it was used in the construction of the local canals.
William Dargue 23.10.2012
For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.